What is canned corned beef hash?
Back in the second world war, rations were low for everyone! Beef, in particular, was quite rare for people to consume. That’s why people started making canned corned beef hash. Canned products were mostly available, and the beef was used from leftovers.
This quickly became a popular and easy way to gain nutrition, and nowadays it is well-known American comfort food! The best part about this meal might be the interesting story behind it, and of course, it is an excellent way to utilize leftovers, so nothing is wasted!
Today, we will learn how to make canned corned beef hash crispy! However, first, let’s learn the modern method:
How to Make Crispy Corned Beef?
To make crispy corned beef, all you need to do first is to add the seasonings to your beef. Season the meat. Add the mustard and spices to the top. We recommend cooking the meat in a slow cooker as it guarantees well-cooked beef.
Add in your vinegar and add the spiced meat on top. Then, you will cover this up and cook it for approximately 7 hours total. A good way to know when your meat is cooked is if you can cut it away with a knife. Some people prefer to bake it as well. It is considerably quicker, but the slow cooker gets all the juices flowing!
Now, when your meat is cooked, we move onto the real fun! Since we are making sure our corned beef is crispy, you can place it in the broiler for under 10 minutes. This will ensure that the top part has crisped up enough. And that’s all! You now know how to make crispy corned beef!
Next, let’s go back to the traditional method!
How Do You Make Canned Corned Beef Hash Crispy?
How do you make canned corned beef hash crispy? Are you tired of your corned beef hash not being crispy enough? Well, here are a few important tips to consider:
- First, make sure your skillet is pre-heated and hot. This can be made sure by setting your heat to a medium setting.
- Next, we recommend that you melt your butter in the skillet.
- The next step is to add your corned beef to your skillet and make sure it is evenly spread out. Leave it as it is for some time, then take your spoon and check if it has that crispy crust you need! If you are not satisfied, you can let it crisp up for a few more minutes.
- The last step is to make sure that you flip it over, so both sides are crispy enough! However, the real trick is to flip it over in a way that guarantees your crust doesn’t break.
Up next, we have a canned corned beef hash recipe!
Here is what you’ll need!
- 2 corned beef cans
- 1 large Onion
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Red pepper if needed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 potatoes
- Oil for frying
Now that we have all the ingredients you’ll need, we are moving onto the main steps you need to make the canned corned beef hash:
- The first step is to make sure the oil in your skillet is heated up at a medium temperature.
- While canned corned beef is already cooked, a good tip is to sear it for additional flavor.
- Once it is seared for no more than a couple of minutes, you need to take it out of the skillet for later use. You don’t want to overcook it.
- Then place the chopped potatoes and stir for 5 minutes. Then add the chopped onions into the skillet and cook for 5 more minutes. We prefer not to peel the potatoes since it adds to the flavor.
- After this, you will add your salt and pepper, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce into the skillet.
- After this, we recommend increasing the temperature to a medium-high and add the shredded pieces of beef that you seared earlier.
- You will cook and sauté the contents of this skillet for another 7 to 8 minutes and you should be done! Your dish is ready to be served!
In conclusion, we hope that you now know how to make canned corned beef hash crispy! Sure, it can be a struggle sometimes since the dish can be cooked till tender.
However, now you know exactly how to add that extra dimension of flavor and texture with a nice crispy exterior with today’s article!